So the popularity of this whole yoga thing seems to be rapidly expanding, and perhaps it has piqued your interest. You are curious about what could possibly happen in that room, that everyone and their mother seems to be raving about, but you don't know exactly what you are potentially getting yourself into. From what to wear to how to om, everything you need to know about pre to post yoga class you'll find below.
Before actually headed into the studio, I've prepared a checklist and a couple of mental notes to take into consideration.
1. Release any expectations... not only of the teacher and what he/she may have to offer you that day, but any expectations of YOURSELF to be or do anything that just doesn't feel natural or good.
2. Try not to eat for at least an hour before class, not because food isn't delicious, only because you'll probably be twisting and upside down at some point, and food doesn't taste as good coming back up as it does going down!
3. Bring a towel. Always better to have one than to get sweat in your eyes. That shit burns.
4. WATER!! Because hydration.
5. Wear more tightly fitted clothing, because its a pain in the asana when your shirt keeps flipping up in down dog. And consider packing a change of clothes for after class. Unless you're super into sweaty, sticky clothes and that's cool too.
6. Get to class early. You don't want to be that person stumbling in late and making everyone move their mats for you. This isn't the red sea, this is a yoga class. Give yourself some time to arrive, sign in, settle down and gather yourself. Rushing and relaxing don't really go hand in hand.
7. Introduce yourself to the teacher or a few people in class. Hey, you're all there to better yourselves in some way or another, so why not strengthen the community vibes, am I right?
1. If you are unsure about a posture or need help, ask your teacher! They are there to instruct you so don't be afraid to reach out for some guidance.
2. Have fun!! Don't take the postures too seriously. If you fall, get back up. Maybe even try smiling!!! Could just change your whole experience.
3. If your teacher wants you to OM, its always up to you if you want to join or not. But why not, everyone has their eyes closed and it feels so good to raise your vibration anyways. Give it a shot!
1. WATER... more hydration. Essential.
2. Hopefully you packed that change of clothes I mentioned earlier to refresh yourself post sweat sesh.
3. As an instructor I always love when new students come up and introduce themselves to me! Say hi to your teacher, we're just people too ya know.
4. Come back again soon!! Hopefully you loved your yoga experience, even if it was challenging and awkward at times and you will be back on your mat again soon.
Hope that helps! If you have any other burning questions please feel free to ask.
And if you're in the LA area, come check out my class in Venice at Love Yoga. NAMASTE!